Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Translation: Interview with Shota Takekuma


Pacific League TV uploaded an interview with Shota Takekuma right before the Saitama Seibu Lions traveled to Sapporo for Opening Day. Takekuma, 28, has been a mainstay in the Lions bullpen for several years, but the reporters noticed he received a few starts in the preseason.

Here is what he had to say:

Reporter: We're finally through spring training and preseason games as 2018 season is about to begin. How are you preparing for the season? 

Takekuma: I pitched only a few games so am kind of concerned.

===

R: In past seasons you were in the bullpen and pitched for a lot of games, but this year you're in the starting rotation? 

T: I think I am a spot starter.

===

R: Who told you to start and when? 

T: Maybe in the 2nd series during the preseason I heard it. I don't know how I feel only after having experienced a few starting games. When I was in the bullpen and a starter was taken out early in the 5th inning, I used to complain about pitching longer in relief for the starter. However, once I experienced starting and found pitching for even 5 innings to be so tough and great.

===

R: It feels like it takes fewer days to prepare to pitch in full throttle in the training. 

T: In the training, usually I feel tired in the 3rd or 4th series when we start some intrasquad games. I start my personal training before the spring training in full throttle and in the 1st series. I feel tired and I put myself in good condition in the 3rd or 4th series after recovering.

===

R: So you usually prepare early?

T: Yes.

===

R: Is there any habits or types of training you follow? 

T: I can do it naturally. When I hurt my elbow in the past, I spent a spring training in a slow pace manner. I had no idea how to spend the training. After that, I do it the way I'm used to. 

===

Special thanks to @Yoshi_Tanaka for the translation help. 

Follow us on Twitter @GraveyardBall

No comments:

Post a Comment