Friday, June 29, 2018

Translation: Castillo sees Lions study Pacific League rivals


Claudio Rodriguez from Béisbol Japonés interviewed Fabio Castillo in Spanish while the Saitama Seibu Lions were in Fukuoka from May 22-24. While this interview took place before interleague play, there is plenty of discussion on first NPB impressions from Castillo.

Here is what we've translated into English:

===

First of all, tell us how you came to Japan. How did the opportunity come to play in this league? 

"Well, last year I was with the Los Angeles Dodgers and received a mid-season offer, but due to the rules of the big leagues, they decided to include me on their [40-man roster] and couldn't come at the time. However, when the season ended in 2017, the offer was still standing and I decided to accept it."

===

Did you talk to any of your compatriots who had been here in the past to ask for advice on how to adapt to the league? 

"Well, you know a lot of them go to the winter league and I always play there and my (Dominican Republic Winter League) team Toros del Este has several players who have already played here in Japan. As they are friends of mine, we started talking about the league and they told me all their impressions and told me that coming here was a very good experience."

=== 

How has the experience of playing in NPB been so far? 

"Excellent. Every day I come to the stadium and try to gather more information, because I need it. There is still a lot of season ahead and the information I can acquire now I know will help me later."

===

What advice has your teammate Ernesto Mejia given you so you can adapt faster to the league? 

"Mejia has been the one who has helped me the most to adapt to this the league. As he his a hitter and I'm a pitcher, he helps me a lot with everything, especially with the meetings we have here on the team. Umpires, for example, are very different from those in the United States and the ball here is much different from the one there. That's the kind of thing that has helped me and I appreciate it very much."

===

Has it helped improve your fitness with how much you practice in Japanese baseball? 

"Yes, it has helped me to be in better physical shape. It hasn't been difficult for me to adapt because in reality, where I come from, I have always trained a lot too, so I have not been surprised by the way they work here."

===

What are some differences you've observed between Japanese baseball and those of the United States? 

"My impression so far is that here, there are more studies and videos of opposing teams that are watched a lot. For example, every time I play, we always study the rival team, we see how their week has gone, how it was in their previous game, how we did the last time we saw them and things like that. Here I see more emphasis on that kind of preparation."

"It is very different from what is seen in the United States, where it is simply said that we are going to play the other team, period. The other thing I've noticed is that there is a lot of contact in this league. It's not about power like in the big leagues, but more about contact. The opposing hitters always try to get you 10 or 12 pitches and that can wear you down fast."

===

The team's 2018 campaign has started very well. How do you see it for the rest of the season? 

"I have been following the team since last year and I know it is very competitive. We started very well and continue well, although we have fallen a bit, but what we have to do is keep working because there is still a long way to go. We have to keep giving our best every day."

===

Putting baseball aside, what do you think of Japan as a country, their food, their culture and their people? 

"The language is very difficult as I am still trying to learn it, but with respect to the culture here, I see lots of respect. Another thing I like is tranquility. I know I can walk to the train station without fear of being robbed. I love the food, I've tried it all and what I've liked the most doesn't sting (my tongue)."

===

Reaction: 

If anything, we can confirm that the Lions have wanted Castillo as early as June of 2017. The Dodgers put Castillo on their 40-man roster to prevent him from leaving overseas on 6/8/17. As a result, the Lions signed Stephen Fife as their Plan B on 6/17/17 as pitching depth.

So far, Castillo has observed what most newcomers notice in pre-game preparation, which is always eye-opening if you've never experienced it before. It's also good to know the heavy workouts in Japan are also not hurting his body, which can shock a few if they're not used to it.

===

Special thanks to Béisbol Japonés for the interview and allowing permission to translate it.

Follow us on Twitter @GraveyardBall

No comments:

Post a Comment