Monday, June 25, 2018

Translation: Mejia "doesn't understand what's happening" with the Lions


Claudio Rodriguez of Béisbol Japonés recently came to Japan and interviewed several Latino players from all over NPB. He interviewed Ernesto Mejia when the Saitama Seibu Lions were in Fukuoka from May 22-24.

This interview took place prior to interleague play, but it is a way of catching up with Mejia in his native language, where details are given out on how he's doing. Here is what he said, as we've translated his interview in English:

Remember that this interview was in May, not June. 

===

How has your transition been from being an everyday player to a secondary player this year? Unfortunately, you're not a starter. 

"It has been quite strong. I'm not used to getting off the bench and hitting. It is not easy to play once a week and do it well, especially because opposing pitchers don't forget who I am and always approach me with the same pitches."

"They think my timing is out of place and it has cost me [playing time]. However, I have taken advantage of the few opportunities I've been given. I've connected a few no-doubt HRs from the bench and my plan is to continue working hard every day until they give me an opportunity again to help the team."

===

Now, I don't understand the reason why the [Lions] don't play you more often. Every time you hit a home run this year and it has gone well off the bat, they bench you the next game or only use you as a designated hitter. I do not understand what is happening there....

"We are two in the same, I don't understand anything either. Honestly, I don't understand what is happening and I cannot talk much because everything is very different here."

===

The team has had a phenomenal start to the 2018 campaign. They've fallen in the last few weeks, but they're still on top of the Pacific League. How do you see this season? 

"It see it very well. I think we have the best lineup in the league. We have very good players in the dugout who can help in any situation that may come. I believe that if we continue playing hard and united as we are now, we will go very far and even finish in first place [to win a pennant]."

"Many people think we can win this year, but at the same time, it's still very early to know. We're just two months into the campaign and we are not so far ahead. In fact, we haven't played as well in the last two weeks, so now we can only hope to return to the hot streak of the first month in which we practically didn't lose."

"I think that with more of a streak like [in April] in the remainder of the year we can finish in first place, because from then on we can maintain the advantage."

===

You have 1.5 years left on your contract [with the Lions]. How do you see your future in the organization? 

"As said earlier, I don't understand things here. I'm just another team worker and I have to accept that role. We are all here to do our bit and help the team win. I still have another year left in my contract and I don't know what will happen. I would like the best and I will work for the best, but I don't know what will happen as it doesn't doesn't depend on me."

===

If for some reason you can't continue your career with Seibu, would you be willing to sign with another team to continue playing in Japan? 

"Yes, of course. I already know the league, it's very competitive and at least in the Pacific League, I know the pitchers well, so I think I can help any other team win. I don't know if I am going to to leave this team or not, but if I do, I'd like to be playing in Japan. I think my time in the United States has already passed, so I am here [in Japan] taking advantage of the new opportunity."

===

Mejia stars in a Pacific League TV Commercial

A new role has developed this year where you've been a commercial actor, having appeared in several Pacific League TV commercials. How has that experience been? 

"Well, one day we're in a house, before the season started, and the Pacific League called me to propose some commercials to film. I thought it was strange, because I saw that other players that appear in this commercial are all Japanese and I had to work with them in a commercial speaking Japanese, but in the end, the thing wasn't so difficult and I could do it."

"Thank God it went well and I really enjoyed the experience. I think the most important thing in life is to know how to enjoy the moments and well, all this is a great experience for me and someday I will tell my children."

===

Reaction: 

While Mejia was likely being careful here to not throw anyone under the bus, it's clear he's frustrated at not playing all the time. Majority of this stems from last year as Hotaka Yamakawa emerged as the team's first baseman and had a red hot August/September. He continued his form in April and won another player of the month award.

With the rise of Yamakawa, it resulted in Mejia's fall from the lineup where he's batting mostly in the bottom third of the lineup and primarily as a DH. If the Lions like a matchup or want a home run, it's possible he could play more, but he's mostly seeing left-handed pitchers. In a lot of ways, it's déjà vu for Mejia because Freddie Freeman blocked him from getting a chance in MLB with the Atlanta Braves.

It's still very likely that 2019 will be his last year in a Lions uniform regardless of what he does on the field. Lastly, on the commercial, the other Pacific League players used were indeed all Japanese with Shota Takeda, Takahiro Norimoto, Kensuke Kondo, Chihiro Kaneko and Daichi Suzuki representing the other five teams.

===

Special thanks to Claudio Rodriguez for permission and providing this interview to translate at Béisbol Japonés.

Follow us on Twitter @GraveyardBall 

No comments:

Post a Comment