Monday, October 2, 2017

Translation: Interview with Nien Ting Wu


Pacific League TV recently uploaded an interview from Saitama Seibu Lions infielder Nien Ting Wu, which is all in Mandarin targeting the audience in Taiwan and anyone else who can speak the language.

Wu, 24, has been a reserve infielder for the Lions as he was a 7th round draft pick in 2015. He does not count against the foreign import limit as he went to school in Japan (hence he was drafted). Wu has connections with the Lions as his father played in Japan's industrial leagues and even managed a team in CPBL.

Last season, he received extra playing time with the Lions on the infield, mostly at SS as the season was winding to a close. This year, he was called up late in the 2017 season and has been at 3B, but practicing all positions in ni-gun.

Thanks to some help, we've been able to write a transcript of this interview. Here is what he said:

===

With your recent stay in the 1st team, can you shed some light on how do you approach the games? What sort of attitude you have going into the game? 

"If I get the opportunity to play, I will do my best to perform and impress the coaches and management. I'm hoping for more opportunities to start in the future."  

===

Let's talk about the second team (ni-gun), while you're in the minor league, you have drawn quite a lot of walks at the same time topping the Eastern League in OBP.  Do you feel a lot more confident in terms of your plate discipline this season? 

"My hitting strategy is still the same as last year, but in ni-gun, I aimed to get on base more, while maintaining a high batting average. In doing so, it increased my chance being call up to the first team (ichi-gun)."

===

Having played various positions in the minor league, do you find yourself being more confident when it comes to adjusting to different positions? 

"I take it one step at the time, as I see being able to cover more than one position will benefit me in the long run within the organization. It's a slow transition as I started the year at shortstop. I'm just trying to get more comfortable at different positions and trying to gain more experiences for next year." 

===

We know there are a lot of competent hitters within the Seibu Lions organization. Do you learn anything from them being on the same team? 

"When I'm struggling, I always ask the "senior players" for help. In general, they're all very happy to help me out. For example, I'll ask Hideto Asamura when it comes to fielding. Shogo Akiyama will get hitting related questions. Takumi Kuriyama will share his past experiences as a rookie. I am very fortunate being able to play alongside with those senior players as I really learn a lot from them." 

===

Let's switch from hitting to pitching. There are a lot of pitchers in the Pacific League who also played for Samurai Japan. Can you tell us, among those pitchers, who left the most unique impression to you? 

"The deepest impression? Last year, I had more opportunities to hit. So far, I've encountered Takahiro Norimoto, Kodai Senga and Shohei Otani. For Otani, I never faced anyone who throws as hard as him. With Norimoto, I was a surprised by his dominating presence on the mound." 

===

Let's switch from Japan to Taiwan. We know when you were in high school you have a younger teammate named "Chen Chieh-Hsien" who is now playing in CPBL for the Uni-Lions. Chen is currently hitting over .400 in batting average this season. Does a player like Chen performing well motivate you? 


"Definitely. During my senior year of high school, we were teammates covering the middle infield together. From time to time, I do watch CPBL to see how Chen's doing. I feel very motivated when he's shining in Taiwan. I hope one day we can get the opportunity to play on the same team in NPB again." 

Side note: Wu went through the Japanese education system, played for Okayama Kenkyosei High School. Chen Chieh-Hsien went 3-for-3 against Samurai Japan's Tomoyuki Sugano and Ayumu Ishikawa earlier this year in a friendly. There are several NPB scouts in Taiwan observing Chen this season. A benefit of signing Chen is he does not take up a foreign player spot on the roster like Wu. He would likely be eligible for NPB after 2018. 

===

Lastly, we want to invite you to share a few words to fans in Taiwan. 

"The 2017 season is almost over. I will continue to work hard and I hope to perform even better next year. I would like to ask fans to continue to cheer me on and thank you for supporting me."

===

Special thanks goes to Rob (@GOCPBL) and Vivien Wong for translation help. 

===

Follow us on twitter @GraeveyardBall

No comments:

Post a Comment