Thursday, November 26, 2015

Translation: Introductory press conference of C.C. Lee


The Saitama Seibu Lions introduced C.C. Lee on November 27th with their introductory presser. After entering the room and saying his name, he couldn't complete the phrase when trying to say "Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu", a well-known phrase to say when you meet new people in Japanese.

While there isn't a direct translation, it is essentially a way of saying "please treat me well" in a formal aspect. There are many meanings, but here's a full definition here for those who can't speak Japanese.

He went in the hotel in Tokyo to answer some questions. Thanks again to Vivien Wong for translating his words from Mandarin. Here is a paraphrasing of what he said.

*UPDATE, Pacific League TV uploaded the full version of his press conference.  Here's the full transcript.


How do you feel right now?

"Very happy, but there is also an additional feeling of responsibilities."

Can you clarify the process of your transfer from the US to this team? 

"I think it's quite complicated, most of the time it was the representing agency that assisted with the process."

 What is your best talent or specialty?

"I think it will have to be the 'Slice Ball' (Slider), it makes me stand out from others."

Until now you've been playing in the Major Leagues in the USA, what are your plans here for this team? 

"[My plans are to] do my best and seeing what the team will assign me to, and then do my best to complete my given duties." 

From 2013 until now you've been playing in major leagues, what would your style be here?  

"The playing style and culture are different, so there are lots to learn here, so I will try my best."

What is most memorable in MLB for the 3 years you were there? "
"Uh... getting teased and joked around with."

Can you explain further? 
"For example, my English is not that good and I'm Taiwanese. They'll put [a cup] on my head."

(Here's a clip of him being pranked by his Indians teammates.)



They have other Taiwanese players in the league, do you look forward in playing against them?
"Yes, I look forward to it."

What would you like to be called?
"Can call me Lee or CC. I'm used to both equally."

This is your 2nd day in Japan, what can you say in Japanese?
"I'm sorry, but I only know how to say 'my name is'. But I will learn."

You didn't have a microphone earlier, can you introduce yourself again with the microphone?
*Speaks introduction in Japanese*

What are your goals this year?
"Hope the team will win and I can assist them to win."

Ending: 
"I'm Lee, Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu. I'm the new member that joined the team this year, please help to cheer us on." 
===

Follow us on Twitter @GraveyardBall

No comments:

Post a Comment