Saturday, January 13, 2018

Translation: Seibu Lions rookies move into the dorms for camp


The Saitama Seibu Lions rookie camp started earlier this month and all eight draft picks (including two ikusei) moved into the dorms near Seibu II. These rookies can also see Lions players participating in voluntary self training/practice in passing.

Each Lions rookie was filmed and photographed on moving to the dorms with thoughts on the team and their goal towards the future. They are also shown what kind of special item they brought with them in their luggage.  

Everyone except Sho Ito is still a student in either high school or college and they will all graduate in the spring. However, they are given an exemption to partake in training en route to being a professional baseball player. 

With some translation help and putting photos together, here's what we were able to find

First round pick Hiromasa Saito: 

Saito brought berry and peach jam from home.
On entering the dormitory: 

"I believe that I can devote my time to baseball here very much. In these well-equipped circumstances, I hope I have a plenty of training and practices." 

On how to stand out in voluntary training for rookies: 

"Well, I want to win to win over the coaches, not to be behind somebody on the depth chart. I want to take a step forward." 

Saito also wrote "Human power" on a card.  

===

Second round pick OF Manaya Nishikawa: 

Nishikawa brought extra bedding. He also had a notable towel he brought with him to Koshien for all three years he was in it, making it easier to sleep.  
On entering the dormitory:

"I have heard it is too old, but I am completely okay here. It's well ordered."

On advice from OF Aito Takeda, who went to the same high school as Nishikawa and they were teammates in 2015: 

"I have got some advice on hitting through training with him." 

===
Third round pick P Sho Ito:

Ito brought Lotte candy, including gum and chocolate. He's originally from Chiba prefecture.
On entering the dormitory: 

"I feel my heart beating, but I have been getting motivated as a professional baseball player. When I was shaking hands with Shogo Akiyama and Shota Nakata, I felt they had overwhelming presence. I also want to have such a presence in the future." 

===

Fourth round pick P Kaima Taira:

Taira brought something from Gold's Gym. 
On entering the dormitory: 

"I am excited that I have got a chance to play in this well-equipped facility."  

Goal in the voluntary training for rookies: 

"Firstly, I want to get over the training to strengthen my physical skills to avoid injuries. I also want to pitch a lot in the farm system.Thank you for your support." 

===

Fifth round pick P Kaito Yoza:

Yoza had no item, but had an MLB baseball as inspiration since Kazuhisa Makita is now a major leaguer.
On moving into the dorms: 

"MetLife Dome is very close here I think this facility is so good that I can feel the presence from the dome.  

On strengths besides submarine pitching: 

"Nothing, but I have got here with my pitching, I want to show it (to coaches or fans)." 

===

Tsunashima brought a glove and bat that he had since elementary school, one of the first equipment items he had since playing baseball. 
On entering the dormitory: 

"This is the first time to have left my hometown in Niigata. It's been filled with a lot of fun." 

On shaking hands with Sosuke Genda and Hideto Asamura 

"I have watched them on TV, and I was very nervous." 

Goal in rookie camp: 

"I want to take a step forward, even only a little more than other rookies." 

=== 

First ikusei pick: OF Wataru Takagi: 

Takagi had a watch. 
On entering the dormitory:

"Some players already live here. With them, I want to try to win the rooster spot." 

Goal: 

"‘Taking steady steps to lead you to a winner’ is a motto what I had through my high school days."  

===

Second ikusei pick: C Masato Saito:

Saito brought his computer for his graduation thesis. He also had a baseball and poster signed by middle school students he was tutoring as well as some magazines. 
On entering the dormitory: 

"I'm feeling some anxiety because I left my hometown (in Hokkaido) first. I have to do everything on my own. From looking at the dormitory and practice facility, I am very happy to be here because there were not so good facilities both in our high school and university. I'm Very satisfied with even only a roofed facility. I don’t know how I can survive here, but I want to try my best." 

M. Saito attended a Division II college in Hokkaido. 

===

Special Thanks to @Yoshi_Tanaka for translation help. 

===

Follow us on Twitter @GraveyardBall

No comments:

Post a Comment