Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Neal finally earned opportunity in Japan after long wait


Zach Neal's journey to Japan wasn't all rosy and simple out of the gate. In fact, his way of getting across the Pacific Ocean was delayed by several years.

It all started in 2016, where he made his MLB debut for the Oakland Athletics and appearing in 24 total games for them. With six starts and 70 innings of work at the Major League level, Neal said in an interview on Japan Baseball Weekly that he had interest from teams in Asia and even an offer from a team South Korea's KBO League.

With Neal himself not getting any younger and already being 27 by the time he made it to MLB, he has shown interesting in going to another country.

"It's always been something that I've aspired to do," Neal said in an interview with Jim Allen. "Me and my wife always thought it would be so cool for the experience and learning the culture. We always thought it would be something that's fun and have always dreamed of doing it."

The Oakland A's were aware of the interest Neal had when the 2016 season ended and prevented this by placing him on the 25-man roster. During the 2016 season, the Yokohama DeNA Baystars tried to sign C Matt McBride, but the A's also prevented themselves from losing a player by placing him on their MLB roster to keep depth.

For Neal, the A's were the obstacle that stood in the way of another opportunity. He found his path to Asia to be nearly impossible. 

"I started learning how truly hard it is to get over here," Neal said. "Your stars really have to align. "I always tell my friends, if you get the chance and your stars do align, I think that you should do it. I can tell you first hand that it's not easy to get here."

Neal spent majority of 2017 in the A's then-minor league organization in Nashville (AAA) after struggling in 6 MLB games. Last year, he was part of the Los Angeles Dodgers organization and spent most of the season with their AAA affiliate in Oklahoma City.

He was traded to the Cincinnati Reds before going back to the Dodgers in the middle of the same year. Neal only had one Major League appearance in 2019 as a September callup.

The Saitama Seibu Lions were eyeballing him for some time and they approached him after the year while giving him his first offer to Japan. Neal joked that he had to make sure his agent was dead serious and not joking about this.  

Once Neal arrived in Japan, it wasn't the start he was hoping for. After winning his NPB debut on April 2, he was fortunate to have two five-inning outings before a rough start in Chiba which lasted only 3.2 innings. 

The Lions sent him down to ni-gun on April 24 shortly after his last ichi-gun game where he had to rehab. An injury set him back and he admitted he pushed himself a little harder than he should have.

"In spring training, I had a hamstring [problem]," Neal said. "I've never had that happen to me or miss time. That was a shock. I felt like I was a little bit limping into the start of the season, [but] I wanted to be ready for them and was putting pressure on myself. I did't feel 100% myself, then I get sent down to the minor leagues and had a chance to work with the coaches there."

Neal said his stint down in ni-gun was a plus, where he worked with coaches and had several starts to get back to full conditioning. He had to hit the weight room as he lost more strength than usual.

During the entire month of May while in ni-gun, he studied how NPB hitters approach pitchers and how its style of game differs from what he was used to stateside. He made sure to work with coaches and pay attention to the technical details throughout this time.

"I was inquisitive about everything," Neal said. "I wanted someone who has been here and throws like me to help me. I've never pitched in Japan. I'm not gonna tell you 'I know how to pitch in Japan.' I know what I can do well, so I was trying to learn the game and trying to learn from the coaches who've done it and had success. That was nice and a big step for me. I think it's been helpful."

Neal saw how it's hard to find a baseball job in Japan, let alone Asia. Being in Japan can also be an easy place to fail or struggle on the field. 

"From just learning the hitters and how they go about their business in the box, their strategy, the plan, for me I'm a contact guy. I try to throw strikes and force the issue. I try to pitch my game. At first, that was good in that place, but I've had to adjust and learn some new pitches. I've had to change the way from what has always been successful for me, I've had to make some new adjustments."

These adjustments have paid off recently. He was given his first ichi-gun start last June in interleague play and made the most of it, going five innings for his first win since the home opener. He has since won four consecutive decisions in as many starts through July 21.

His secret to all of this has been the work ethic to continue improving his game. There is nothing more than picking up more information on opponents and techniques to the game of Japanese baseball.

Given the language boundaries with teammates and coaches, he said body language is something is universal and how you carry yourself sends a message to anyone around. He has kept a positive vibe and has been welcomed by teammates for it. One common goal among any team in sports is to work together and win. Japan is no different than any place else on this matter, according to Neal. 

Neal said he wants to stay in Japan and has already liked what he's seen so far since joining the Lions. He continues to take it all in while also further his baseball career in NPB. 

"What I'm trying to do everyday is learn as much as I possibly can," Neal said. "I know coming that this is such a cool and unique opportunity. I don't want to foil that in any way. I come here trying to get better each and every day because I want to stay here. I want to play here. I enjoy my time [in Japan]." 

===

Follow us on Twitter @GraveyardBall

1 comment:

  1. replica rolex uk , watches were established in 1905 and have been in the field replica Rolex Oyster Perpetual Milgauss watches of innovation for more than a century. The first certified chronometer, the first self-winding watch and the first effective waterproof case are milestones in Rolex design. Today, the Rolex brand is immediately recognized as a symbol of global reputation, luxury and innovation. Buying a Rolex watch means you are buying a piece of watch history. Here we have a large catalog of used Rolex special watches for sale.

    ReplyDelete